About Your Ward Councillor, Don Palmer
Hi! My name is Don Palmer. I am one of two Councillors for the Clarence Park Ward of the City of Unley.
A family man and proud grandparent, I live in the Ward. Goodwood Oval is just an 11-minute walk from my home. Hence I am intimately connected with what is or is not happening in the Ward.
I bring a wide experience to the role of Councillor. As a retiree since April 2017, I also have the time to devote more energy than before to serving our local community.
I bring a wide experience to the role including business, community, sport and religion.
Don Palmer in Business
I have owned and operated 6 businesses over my lifetime. Additionally, I was also general manager of a 7th.
In these businesses I had the responsibility for strategic planning, marketing, finance, human resourcing, project management, negotiating and dispute resolution. As the owner it was up to me to make decisions.
Don Palmer’s Community Service
In my life, and prior to Council, I have contributed to my community in many ways. These include being a member of Adelaide Jaycees, as Secretary of a Caravan Club and a short stint as President of the Association of Caravan Clubs. I was also Secretary and then Area Coordinator of the Woodcroft Neighbourhood Watch group during its formative years.
Don Palmer and Sport
For around 11 years I also coached umpires in both the Glenelg, Sturt, South Adelaide High Schools Association and the Glenelg Primary Schools. I mentored these umpires who were mostly young people, still at school.
More recently, I was a Parish Councillor and Warden at St Augustine’s Anglican Church. This is the Gothic church next door to Council. These roles I had for some 12 years. Another church I served as a Parish Councillor was St Hilary’s at Morphett Vale.
Clarence Park Ward Councillor Don Palmer
Most noteworthy, as your Councillor since 2010 for the Clarence Park Ward, I have served on a number of committees and working groups, employing the numerous skills I have acquired.
- Development, Strategy & Policy Committee. (Presiding Member 2016).
- Unley Business and Economic Development Committee.
- Discover Historic Unley Committee.
- Australia Day Awards Selection Panel.
- Community Assets Review Committee.
- Development Assessment Panel.
- City, Strategy & Policy Committee.
- Community, Cultural, Recreational and Environmental Program Advisory Group.
- Goodwood and Unley Oval Advisory/Reference Groups.
- Strategic Building Review Committee, now the Strategic Property Group.
- Strategic Property Committee. (Current Presiding Member).
- CEO Performance Review Committee.
In 2017 I was also elected by my peers for a 12-month stint as your Deputy Mayor.