An amended motion from the one recommended by Council’s admin put forward by Jennie and I was unanimously approved at Council last Monday night in front of a number of Goodwood South residents who made the journey up to Fullarton Park Community Centre to witness Council in action.
The motion that was unanimously approved reads as follows:
1. The report be received.
2. The proposed changes (as outlined in Attachment 1 to Item 1110/14) at the intersection of Canterbury Terrace and East Avenue be implemented.
3. The existing verge area be replanted with the selected tree species and understory.
4. Staff continue to monitor bicycle traffic in both Canterbury Terrace and through the intersection at East Avenue and report back to Council in 12 months.
5. The community originally consulted on the matter and all other respondents be notified of the Council’s decision.
6. The ‘No Parking” Zone be retained in Canterbury Terrace.
Items 3,4 & 5 were added by us as we, along with a few residents are not convinced the staff’s recommendation for getting cross East Avenue is workable, that the planting selection needed to be noted with residents feeling that this was being ignored, and because there has been a lot of interest in this issue and people who contributed needed to be kept in the loop and not find out when work begins.
Item 6 was included at the last minute thanks to an observation by a resident on the night.
The work has been budgeted for and planting WILL occur, along with the adjacent Parker Avenue during the current planting season, somewhere between now and September.