Decisions are Pending on Brownhill Creek

Yes the decisions are pending on Brownhill Creek with West Torrens supporting Option D, Burnside Council delaying a decision on Brownhill Creek on Tuesday night, Unley next Monday night and the other two councils later this month. So over the next 3 weeks we will know where the Councils all stand.

 

For my part and as demonstrated in my series of blog posts on the subject I come into this months marathon of meetings not happy with with the information we have to make a qualified decision. Readers of this blog page would realise this.

 

Brownhill Creek Bridge

 

Whether we are talking option D or option B2 we don’t in my opinion have the information we need to make not only a qualified decision but an ergonomically and financially responsible. A decision that IS THE best solution not driven by ideology.

 

I have canvassed a number of issues in the last week or two on this platform. In this blog post I aim to bring them to a head and acknowledge a couple of other equally importation issues.

 

I have canvassed concerns over focusing on:

1    A lack of detailed design associated with Option D to allow for a better understanding of the impact of the work on creek owners properties and to provide a more detailed costing of this option

2    A lack of logic with both options pursuing a quick discharge of stormwater through the system rather than the community wide local government understanding that retention and allowing a slow feed over time.

3    Dispelling myths from all groups that have been promoting a self interest cause, including the Project.

4    Enlightening the uninformed on what a dam might look it.

5    Questioning why we cant incorporate a stormwater harvesting component to the solution.

 

So as decisions are pending on Brownhill Creek my head is in addressing the need for more detail for better clarity and costing and addressing the the sensible approach of stormwater harvesting. The motion on the table does not provide this and I am not convinced the B2 option does either.

 

If Option D falls over as I suspect it will on Monday night, and Jennies advertised B2 motion also struggles I am drafting a motion that allows more work to be done on both options to allow a more qualified decision.

 

 

1 Comment

  1. George   •  

    Sensible comment Don. Lack of detail has certainly been the hallmark of this “consultation” with many respondents “in the dark” about what the real impact will be on their properties lining the creek.
    “Creek rehabilitation” sounds very innocuous but the reality may not be when stabilising disturbed banks (with gabions etc) is implemented.
    Good comment about factual depiction of the best aesthetically pleasing dam needed to dispel the scaremongering of a “Parliament House” type structure being required. The Project has told me that the dam in Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens is very similar in size to what is required for this project at site B1.
    Recharging the aquifer also makes sense if possible and that aspect should win the support of committed environmentalists.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *