Council endorsed last night the draft Living Young Action Plan for our Young People 2015- 2017.
The development of a Young People’s Action Plan is a specific Year 1 action in Council’s 4 Year Plan to support the objectives of the Living: Our Path to a Vibrant City theme. The draft Living Young Action Plan for Unley’s Young People 2015-17 has been developed to consider the needs and aspirations of young people, as well as the City of Unley’s approach in supporting this segment of our community.
Young people represent 24% of the City of Unley population and total 8,680. According to the 2011 Census:
• 5.6% of the population were 5-9 years old (approximately 2,000 people)
• 5.1% of the population were 10-14 years old (approximately 1,900 people)
• 5.6% were 15-19 years old (approximately 2,000 people)
• 7.7% were 20-24 (2,800 people), the largest five year age group in the City of Unley.
Living Young represents a new direction in our engagement with young people and is a consultative document which trials new programs and approaches. Through the Plan, the aim for the next two years is to increasingly engage with our young people in the community, putting the City in a better position to inform future planning and program delivery.
In addition, Living Young is not just for young people; many of the actions will interest the broader community and encourage inter-generational opportunities wherever possible.
The actions included in the Plan are aligned to three key objectives:
• Engage and Enhance Leadership in Young People
• Encourage Positive Connections and Learning
• Promote Wellbeing and Resilience
Check out the plan on our website.