Once upon a time, instead of going to the movies or watching TV, people would gather to listen to someone tell a story or recite a poem. This was a custom that celebrated the beauty of the spoken word and engaged the community. The City of Unley has brought the oral storytelling tradition back to life by presenting live poetry performances in local Cafés.
In the lead up to Double Shot Unley Coffee Fiesta, five local cafes will host performance poets working in their spaces for around two hours. Writing, reading, performing and chatting you can meet, listen to and drink with professional poets.
Then, join our poets at Double Shot on Sunday 16 March for more action!.
Full program to be announced. Watch this space.
Participating cafes are:
- By Blackbird Coffee and Desert Cafe, Shop4, 100 King William Road, Hyde Park
- Hyde Park Bakery, 1 Mitchell St, Hyde Park
- Pellegrini Café, 169 Unley Road, Unley
- Lunch Club, Unley Shopping Centre, Unley Road
- Carnevale Coffee 114 East Avenue, Clarence Park
This project is an initiative of The City of Unley’s Where Business Meets Art project in conjunction with Friendly Street Poets and SA Writers Centre.
All enquiries please contact Matthew Ives [email protected] 83725134
View the photos from the 2011 Coffee, Tea & Poetry project.