A key component of the recent Unley Oval master planning process was to consider upgrades for the ailing health of the Unley Oval grandstands.
Council had previously resolved that it would be appropriate to have “shovel ready” plans for the redevelopment of the grandstands, in the event that a grant funding opportunity presents itself in the short to medium term. Whilst both the State and Federal Governments both have tight budgetary concerns currently we resolved that it is prudent to be ready for whenever grant funding may become available.
As part of the process of being shovel ready Council last night considered a proposal to take concept designs out to consultation. These designs focus on what council have previously indicated is their preferred option for upgrade.
If completed, the grandstand upgrades will provide a significantly enhanced experience for users of Unley Oval.
Whilst the upgrades will not mean any significant visual change to the oval vista when viewed from anywhere on the playing field or surrounds, they will deliver facilities much more closely aligned to the AFL Preferred Facilities Guidelines for State League competitions. They will also provide much improved facilities for all other users of the oval besides the footballers, in terms of amenities, canteen access, and community function facilities.
The key features of the nominated upgrade option include:
• Small extension on northern end containing Umpires Rooms and possible Property Store on the ground floor, and a new public canteen on the upper level which is directly accessible by the public from the mound in front of the stand
• Interior fully upgraded for use as ‘away team’ rooms with locker room, warm up room and replacement amenities
• Ground Floor – new public toilets, new ‘home team’ rooms
• First Floor – office accommodation
• Second Floor – function rooms
• Lift to be installed
The total estimated project cost is in the order of $8.25 million, and it is anticipated that grant funding and contributions from the Sturt Football Club (perhaps via the SANFL Football Park distribution) would comprise a major component of this amount.