Councillor Don Palmer Providing Local Leadership & Working for You

Ever wondered what to do if you lost your dog or you found a lost dog? 

If your dog becomes lost you should act quickly to
§  Phone the City of Unley on 8372 5111
§  Contact local vets
§  Contact Allpets Boarding Village (8379 1995, 9am-6pm Mon-Sat, 4pm-6pm Sun)
§  Contact the Animal Welfare League (8348 1300, 10am-4pm, Mon-Fri)
§  Contact the RSPCA (8382 0888, 10am-5pm, Mon-Fri & 10am-2pm, Weekends & Public Holidays).
§  Place an advertisement in your local newspaper, shopping centres, vets
§  Do a letterbox drop in your local area.
Under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 any dog that becomes impounded is required to be held by the animal shelters for three working days only and may be sold or put down if not claimed.
Dogs that are properly identified need not be subjected to this process as they can be quickly returned to their owners. A current telephone number on another disc on your dog’s collar is also advisable.
If you find a stray dog, try to contain the animal safely if you can, and phone 8372 5111 and ask to speak to a City of Unley Ranger, who will collect the dog. If you are unable to contain the animal, advise the Ranger of its whereabouts. Every endeavour will be made to reunite the dog with its owner.
It is important you do not keep a stray dog you have found as the animal may have been reported missing and you will be preventing authorities from returning the dog to its rightful owner. Only Dog Management Officers appointed by Councils are empowered to deal with stray or wandering dogs.