BAKERS of Unley is back in business at Malvern Village after being shut down by a fire eight months ago.
Bakery owner Cossie Mammone said it was a “relief” to be up and running again.
“We had lots of customers before the fire and I’m sure a lot of them have gone elsewhere, but we now hope they come back,” Mr Mammone said.
“People are slowly realising, we are starting to see some more familiar faces.”
The fire, on the afternoon of Tuesday, May 9, 2011, started in an exhaust fan of the neighbouring Chefs of Tandoori Indian restaurant and caused about $1 million in damage.
The back section of the shop was replaced after smoke damaged equipment and the wiring and ceiling were destroyed.
The bakery is the last business in the centre to reopen. Adjoining businesses which had sustained minor damage, Pasta Go Go, Captain Chargrill & Seafood, Chefs of Tandoori and the Malvern Police Station, all reopened last year