A community consultation on our draft Footpath Trading Policy commenced yesterday. It will run until close of business Friday 29 June 2018.
The Policy covers the management of permits for both outdoor dining and the display of merchandise on our footpaths.
Section 222 of the Local Government Act 1999 requires to develop a Policy. This is something we must do, a legal requirement imposed by the State Government. We therefore have no choice in the matter. As a result, hopefully impacted businesses will realise we are doing all we can to help them benefit from the Policy.
Businesses play a significant role in providing the vibrancy and cosmopolitan lifestyle of the City. The draft Footpath Trading Policy therefore aims to achieve a workable balance between this and to maximise safety and the accessibility needs of pedestrians.
If we get it right, rather than restrict businesses we will provide opportunities for them to utilise the footpath space in front of their business for trading purposes.
Our aim is to ensure that displays and activities on footpaths are established, operated and maintained in an appropriate manner and our processes align to legislative requirements. We therefore propose that as far as is practicable we have clear 3 zones:
- A Walkway Zone.
- A Trading Activity Zone (area for business merchandising and outdoor dining).
- A Kerbside zone.
After the results of the community consultation are known, we will consequently be able to finalise the Policy.
There are a number of ways for the community to provide feedback including:
- Completing the online survey by close of business Friday 29 June 2018 – yoursay.unley.sa.gov.au
- Completing a hard copy survey available at our Customer Service Centre, 181 Unley Road, Unley
- Dropping in and speaking to our team anytime on Thursday 21 June at Living Choice, 123 Fisher Street, Fullarton
- Participating in our Business and Community Information Sessions, held at Living Choice, 123 Fisher Street, Fullarton on:
11am – 12.30pm, Thursday 21 June.
2pm – 3.30pm, Thursday 21 June.
7.30pm, Thursday 21 June.
PS We will email the various trader associations, all local businesses, the Active Ageing Alliance as well as general promotion via the Messenger, our Unley Life column, via social media channels.